Ditch New Years Resolutions Day
- If there's a day to celebrate New Years and to make resolutions for the upcoming year, then there should be a day to ditch those resolutions. That's the reason for today. If you haven't broken or given up all of those New Year's resolutions, you're doing better than most of us. Maybe, you're well along the way to accomplishing them. Maybe, a few are already checked off on your list. Good for you!
Ben Franklin Day
- Benjamin Franklin (January 17, 1706) was one of the Founding Fathers of the United States of America. A noted polymath, Franklin was a leading author and printer, satirist, political theorist, politician, scientist, inventor, civic activist, statesman and diplomat. As a scientist he was a major figure in the Enlightenment and the history of physics for his discoveries and theories regarding electricity. He invented the lightning rod, bifocals, the Franklin stove, a carriage odometer, and a musical instrument. He formed both the first public lending library in America and first fire department in Pennsylvania.
Kid Inventors' Day
- Water skis. Earmuffs. The Popsicle. What do these have in common? All were invented by kids! Some 500,000 children and teens invent gadgets and games each year to make our lives easier—and more fun. Celebrate the ingenuity and value of these young brainstormers on the birthday of Benjamin Franklin, who invented the first swim fins at age 12.
Cable Car Day
- In 1871 Andrew Hallikie received a patent for a cable car system that began service in San Francisco in 1873.
National Hot Buttered Rum Day
- Finally a food holiday that properly suits the season! With the long, cold winter nights, nothing is more soothing than a piping hot cocktail.
- Judgement Day is feared by the world and is the day that God will destroy the world because of the sins of mankind. The end may be near, but exactly how near is the sticky question. As millennium fever swept the globe, party planners and dooms-dayers alike were fixated on the year 2000. Meanwhile, Judgment Day sticklers have been obsessing over the fact that there never was a "year zero," and therefore A.D. 1 plus two millennia equals 2001. But pinpointing Armageddon isn't quite that simple. When it comes to end times, there are as many proposed dates as there are fates (Rapture or Tribulation? Fire or Flood? Demons or Pleiadeans?).
Customer Service Day
- This is the day to reflect on the importance of providing good customer service and to explore new ways to keep the customer happy so that he chooses to do business with your company again and again. This is the time to remind your employees that "Customer is King," and that everything possible should be done to help out the customer or provide extra service to the customer.
- Popeye the Sailor is a fictional hero notable for appearing in comic strips and animated films as well as numerous television shows. He was created by Elzie Crisler Segar, and first appeared in the daily King Features comic strip Thimble Theatre on January 17, 1929.
Rid The World of Fad Diet and Gimmicks Day
- The 21st annual Slim Chance Awards for the “worst” weight-loss products of the year are announced. Diet quackery defrauds, disables and kills.
Operation Desert Storm
- The multinational bombing campaign against Iraq, beginning in January 1991, after Iraq had failed to meet the demands of a U.N. resolution that it withdraw from Kuwait. The operation was under the general command of Norman Schwarzkopf and sought to disable Iraq's war-making ability by systematically destroying its military and support infrastructure.
A Friend Picks You Up Day
- Does this mean that your friend calls and tells you a joke, or that this friend actually drives over to your house, picks you up and takes you somewhere?
Shari Lewis' Birthday
- Born January 17, 1934, in New York, NY. Entertainer and author. Lewis' long show business career began when she was a toddler and started taking piano lessons and learning magic tricks from her father, a university professor and part-time magician. In 1952 she won the Arthur Godfrey television talent contest and in 1957 was invited to perform on The Captain Kangaroo Show. A show producer asked Lewis if she had any puppets smaller than those she usually used in her performances. She took with her a sock puppet of a lamb that had been lying around and with a few twitches of her hand Lewis' best known creation, Lamb Chop,was born.
- This was updated by Catherine on January 17, 2012 -
QUICK FREEBIE TIPS:
Don't forget to sign up for free money! iRazoo are free digital dollars that you can trade for Amazon or Best Buy gift cards and other great electronic prizes.
Click for more quick freebie tips
◊ Enjoying all the freebies? Want to keep up with the latest free stuff, deals, coupons, and other ways to save money? Subscribe to Frugal Freebies' email updates or RSS Feed! - it's free!
◊ Check us out on Twitter and join in the conversation of even more great freebies, deals and coupons on our Frugal Freebies fan page on Facebook.