- Perhaps no tragedy since the assassination of President John F. Kennedy in 1963 had so riveted the American public as did the explosion of the Space Shuttle Challenger on 28 January 1986, which killed its seven-member crew. The horrific moment came seventy-three seconds after liftoff from Cape Canaveral, Florida, and was captured on live television and rebroadcast to a stunned and grieving nation.
National Blueberry Pancake Day
- Blueberry pancakes are wonderful anytime of the day! Nutritious enough for breakfast, yummy for a snack, or perfect for a quick and easy dinner. Make a batch today to celebrate!
Bubble Wrap Appreciation Day
- The story begins in 1957 in a garage in Hawthorne, NJ with two engineers, Marc Chavannes and Al Fielding. Marc and Al were trying to make a plastic wallpaper with a paper backing. Surprisingly, this product didn’t take off. They realized, however, that their invention could be used as a cushioning packaging material.
Sesame Street's Ernie's Birthday
- Ernie has been one of the stars of Sesame Street since its first episode in 1969. Ernie and Bert form a comic duo that is one of the program's centerpieces, with Ernie acting the role of the naive trouble-maker and Bert the world-weary foil.
Pop Art Day/Jackson Pollack's Birthday
- Paul Jackson Pollock (January 28, 1912 – August 11, 1956), known as Jackson Pollock, was an influential American painter and a major figure in the abstract expressionist movement.
We Are the World Day
- In 1985, 30 music superstars, including Michael Jackson, gathered together to record "We Are the World"
- You know how sometimes you meet someone and there's this instant, amazing connection? Serendipity is a propensity for making fortunate discoveries while looking for something unrelated.
U.S. Coast Guard Birthday
- The United States Coast Guard (USCG) is a branch of the United States Armed Forces and one of the seven U.S. uniformed services. The Coast Guard is a maritime, military, multi-mission service unique among the military branches for having a maritime law enforcement mission (with jurisdiction in both domestic and international waters) and a federal regulatory agency mission as part of its mission set.
Live Your Fantasies Day
- Fantasy Island premiered 1978. Ricardo Montalban starred as the prescient guide, Mr Roarke, with Hervé Villechaize as his faithful assistant, Tattoo. Each week, guest stars played characters eager to live out their fantasies in camp splendor.
National Kazoo Day
- celebrates the the joy of this musical instrument. Alabama Vest of Macon Georgia made the first Kazoo in the 1840's. Actually, he conceived the Kazoo, and had Thaddeus Von Clegg, a German clockmaster make it to his specifications.
Fun at Work Day
- a day to have fun at work for once. Ideally, work should be fun. But normally, work is not intended to have fun. It's intended to get work done. You're a very lucky person, if you if you can get work done and have fun doing it. The lucky souls in this situation, love their job.
Thank A Plugin Developer Day
- To celebrate take a look at the plugins you use and love, visit the author’s site, find their contact form, and drop them a note thanking them. (Or Paypal!) Look for the links in the plugin directory to “author homepage” and also to donate directly if they’ve specified a Paypal address. Thank you to everyone who has ever written a plugin for WordPress, and here’s to the next four thousand.
Data Privacy Day
- an international celebration of the dignity of the individual expressed through personal information. In this networked world, in which we are thoroughly digitized, with our identities, locations, actions, purchases, associations, movements, and histories stored as so many bits and bytes, we have to ask – who is collecting all of this – what are they doing with it – with whom are they sharing it? Most of all, individuals are asking ‘How can I protect my information from being misused?’ These are reasonable questions to ask – we should all want to know the answers.
- If something has gone to pot, it has gone wrong and doesn't work any more. A day where nothing has gone right. A day full of ms-haps. A day where everything you tried to do ended up with no success. A day where one thing right after the other went ah-stray. A day when trying to meet a deadlines and everything got in the way. A day that should of been a day of success turned out to be a day turmoil.
- This was updated by Catherine on January 28, 2012 -
QUICK FREEBIE TIPS:
Checking for free sample opportunities every day, or even several times a day, will greatly increase your chances of getting them. Since there are only a certain number of free samples per offer, you'll want to sign up as soon as you can. Free samples are almost always offered on a first come first served basis.
Click for more quick freebie tips
◊ Enjoying all the freebies? Want to keep up with the latest free stuff, deals, coupons, and other ways to save money? Subscribe to Frugal Freebies' email updates or RSS Feed! - it's free!
◊ Check us out on Twitter and join in the conversation of even more great freebies, deals and coupons on our Frugal Freebies fan page on Facebook.