Super Soakers Birthday 1991
- Once one of the most feared weapons on the water-front, the original Super Soaker SS 50 was a "MUST-HAVE" for any water-weapon enthusiast. Unlike its motorized predecessors, Lonnie Johnson developed a gun that relied on air pressure and arm pumping for pressurizing the firing chamber. The end result was a water blaster capable of delivering more water farther and faster than any other water gun on the market. The brand name, Super Soaker®, was introduced nation-wide in 1991 through a series of TV-advertisements.
Festival Of Sleep Day
- celebrated by learning about and experiencing a sound sleep. The hustle and bustle of the holidays are finally over. You made it through Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years. Now you are all caught up on the holidays and your body is ready for a nice day of sleep. Today's the day to sleep in and feel how good it feels to have a nice comfortable sound sleep.
National Write to Congress Day
- Why live in a democracy if you don't express yourself? On this day, take a few minutes to identify your local representative and write him or her an e-mail or a letter about an issue of your choice. Get started at house.gov/writerep.
- On this holiday we take the opportunity to make up for the hurt we put others through. Sometimes we say or do something that hurts others without our knowledge. Humiliation Day stresses the need to understand the negative effects of humiliation. Go ahead and say sorry to someone you have hurt or convey your feelings to someone who has hurt you.
National Chocolate Covered Cherry Day
- The holiday serves as a celebration of chocolate covered cherries. Chocolate covered cherries generally consist of maraschino cherries smothered in milk chocolate sauce, then refrigerated overnight. The sauce consists of butter, cream and semi-sweet chocolate. The cherries are normally covered in sugar prior to being dipped in the chocolate.
Spirit Robotic Rover Lands on Mars
- The robotic explorer Spirit woke up to its first full day on Mars, hours after making a perilous landing , sending postcards to Earth and taking a much deserved snooze. The $400 million NASA craft was the first to land without disaster on the red planet since 1997.
Brooklyn Bridge Birthday
- On Jan. 3, 1870, Washington Roebling began construction on the Brooklyn Bridge; when it opened 13 years later, it was the largest suspension bridge in the world.
Drinking Straw Day
- celebrate the invention of the drinking straw - enjoy this day by drinking cool drinks with cool straws all day long! Drinking straws have been improved since that day in 1888 when it was first invented. Straws are made of paper or plastic, and include bendy straws, candy straws, and spoon straws too.
Alaska Admitted as 49th U.S. State
- On January 3, 1959, Alaska, with a land mass larger than Texas, California and Montana combined, became the 49th state in the union. It is a large state, 1/5 the size of all the other states together, reaching so far to the west that the International Date Line had to be bent to keep the state all in the same day. It's also the only U.S. state extending into the Eastern Hemisphere.
J.R.R. Tolkien's Birthday
- On the 3rd January 1892 JRR Tolkien was born in Bloemfontein, South Africa. To celebrate this event, on this day each year Tolkien fans around the world are invited to raise a glass and toast the birthday of this much loved author.
*Memento Mori "Remember You Die" Day
- Contrary to the way it sounds, Memento Mori Day is to remind us not only that we die, but that we are now alive and should celebrate that fact. Wouldn't it be great if they renamed this one, "Remember You Live Day"? That would sound so much happier and a little less like a threat from a hit man.
Electric Watch Birthday
- On January 3, 1957, Hamilton held a press conference to announce the "World's First Electric Watch." The idea of a watch which never needed winding was very exciting to consumers back in the 1950's who were not only tired of always winding their watches, but were also captivated by progress and modernity. The Hamilton Electric was an instant hit.
Women Rock! Day
- Aretha Franklin became the first woman to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1987.
- This was updated by Catherine on January 3, 2011 -
QUICK FREEBIE TIPS:
Freebies generally takes anywhere from 4-16 weeks to arrive, some as long as 5 months - it depends on what you requested.
Click for more quick freebie tips
◊ Enjoying all the freebies? Want to keep up with the latest free stuff, deals, coupons, and other ways to save money? Subscribe to Frugal Freebies' email updates or RSS Feed! - it's free!
◊ Check us out on Twitter and join in the conversation of even more great freebies, deals and coupons on our Frugal Freebies fan page on Facebook.