Homemade Cookie Day
- celebrate by indulging in delicious homemade cookies of all kinds. What is your homemade favourite cookie?
Jimmy Carter's Birthday
- James Earl "Jimmy" Carter, Jr., is the only U.S. President to ever serve in the Submarine Service. A veteran of both World War II and the Korean War, became the fifth consecutive President with prior Navy service in 1976. He was born in Plains, Georgia on 1 October 1924, to Lillian Gordy and James Earle Carter.
Less Than Perfect Day
- It won't be perfect, but all things considered, it could have been a worse day
Model T Birthday
- On October 1, 1908, the first Ford Model T was produced. It featured a hand-crank motor until 1919, and its 4-cylinder engine produced around 20 horsepower.
World Series Birthday 1903
- The 1903 World Series was the first modern World Series played, between the league champions of the American League and the National League.
Yosemite National Park Birthday 1864
- Yosemite National Park was designated by an Act of Congress on October 1, 1890, making it the third national park in the United States, after Yellowstone (1872) and Sequoia (1890). Today marks the 120th birthday of the park.
National Diversity Day
- a day to celebrate and embrace who we are, despite our differences, no matter what race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, nationality, or disability.
National Lace Day
- In the Victoria and Albert Museum, London, there is to be seen the oldest example of lace traced so far, called mummy lace. This lace was made in Egypt many centuries BC and specimens of it have been recovered from ancient tombs.
Walt Disney World Opens
- Disney World has become such a part of our popular culture it seems as if it’s been open forever, but the Magic Kingdom – the first of Disney’s Florida theme parks – opened to the public on October 1, 1971.
World Smile Day
- the theme for today is "Do an act of kindness. Help one person smile."
Special Delivery Birthday
- In 1885 the post office began complete special delivery mail service in the United States.
- In 1869 the first postcards were issued in Vienna, Austria.
Fire Pup Day
- Fire Pup is the all-purpose mascot dog of fire departments everywhere. He is the hardworking canine that travels from elementary school to elementary school in the fire truck's seat of honor, helping firefighters teach children about fire safety.
International Day of Older Persons
- raising awareness about issues affecting older persons, such as senescence and elder abuse. Also a day to appreciate the contributions that older people make to our society.
World Vegetarian Day
- a day of celebration established by the North American Vegetarian Society in 1977.
- This was updated by Catherine on October 1, 2012 -
QUICK FREEBIE TIP:
Don't forget to sign up for free money! iRazoo are free digital dollars that you can trade for Amazon or Best Buy gift cards and other great electronic prizes.
Click for more quick freebie tips
◊ Enjoying all the freebies? Want to keep up with the latest free stuff, deals, coupons, and other ways to save money? Subscribe to Frugal Freebies' email updates or RSS Feed! - it's free!
◊ Check us out on Twitter, and join in the conversation of even more great freebies, deals and coupons on our Frugal Freebies fan page on Facebook and Google+. We are even on Pinterest!
More Frugal Blogs and Websites:
◊ Born to Love: All your cloth diapering needs, and much more - naturally! We are strong advocates of the personal, social and environmental benefits of natural parenting.
◊ Frugal Baby Tips: Money-saving tips on diapering, diaper washing, safety, slings and baby carriers, toys, clothing, nursing, menstrual needs, traveling with kids, more!