- a holiday celebrated in New York and Pennsylvania on February 2. In weather lore, if a groundhog emerges from its burrow on this day and fails to see its shadow because the weather is cloudy, winter will soon end. If the groundhog sees its shadow, it will return into its burrow, and the winter will continue for 6 more weeks.
Crepe Day or La Chandeleur
- The Catholic holiday of Candlemas, on 2 February, is a feast to commemorate the purification of the Virgin Mary and the presentation of baby Jesus. In France, this holiday is called la Chandeleur, Fête de la Lumière, or jour des crêpes.
- the last holiday of the Christmas season. Candlemas is a christian celebration, or festival, of the Feast of Purification of the Virgin Mary. It also celebrates the annual blessing of candles used by the church.
Heavenly Hash Day
- Heavenly Hash recipes vary from ice cream, to brownies and cookies, and to a gelatin based dessert with rice, marshmallows, and fruit. Most heavenly hash recipes contain either marshmallows or a marshmallow crème or fluff. Over the years many ice cream brands have added their version of Heavenly Hash Ice Cream to the freezer shelf. What type will you enjoy today?
Groundhog Job Shadow Day
- Students spend part of the day in the workplace “shadowing” an employee as he or she goes through a normal day on the job. Job Shadow Day demonstrates the connection between academics and careers and introduces students to the requirements of professions and industries.
- This ancient Roman tradition was the inspiration for Groundhog Day in the US. Romans observed whether a hedgehog emerging from hibernation could see its shadow in the moonlight—if it could, then six more weeks of winter were expected. Later observed as a folk holiday in Europe and the British Isles.
- One of the “Greater Sabbats” during the Wiccan year, Imbolc marks the recovery of the Goddess (after giving birth to the Sun, or the God, at Yule) and celebrates the anticipation of spring.
National Girls & Women in Sports Day
- Celebrates and honors all girls and women participating in sports. Recognizes the passage of Title IX in 1972, the law that guarantees gender equity in federally funded school programs, including athletics. Sponsored by Girls Incorporated, the Girl Scouts, the National Association for Girls and Women in Sports, the National Women’s Law Center and the Women’s Sports Foundation.
Sled Dog Day
- When a diphtheria outbreak was diagnosed in Nome, AK (population 1,500), on Jan 21, the nearest large amount of antitoxin serum was in Anchorage. Bitter winter temperatures made air delivery impossible, so a heroic dog sled relay was set up. Some 300,000 units of serum were delivered by train to Nenana, AK, and on Jan 27—in temperatures of 40–50 degrees below zero (Fahrenheit)—20 mushers drove scores of dogs on a 674-mile journey to Nome in 127 hours. Togo was the lead dog for the first 350 miles, and Balto was the lead dog on the final 53 miles. The frozen serum arrived at 5:30 AM, and once it was thawed and administered, there were no more diphtheria deaths. Balto became a national hero, and a statue was erected in his honor in New York City’s Central Park.
Bottle Cap Patented
- Bottle caps were originally designed to be pressed over and around the top of a glass bottle to grab a small flange on the bottleneck. The Crown Cork was patented by William Painter on 2 February 1892. It originally had 24 teeth and a cork seal with a paper backing to prevent contact between the contents and the metal cap.
California Kiwi Fruit Day
- Did you know kiwifruit promotes heart health, protects against Cancer and aids in DNA repair, outranks bananas as the top low-sodium, high potassium fruit, is a good low-fat source of Vitamin E, that Vitamin C rich kiwifruit may help protect against asthma and is the most nutrient dense fruit? Don't forget to pick up a few kiwis at your local grocery store and celebrate the fuzzy green fruit of the West.
National League Birthday
- On 2 February 1875, the National Base-Ball League was organized, also in New York City. The clubs represented at the convention were the Chicago, Boston, Athletic and Mutual clubs; the Hartford, St. Louis, Louisville and Cincinnati clubs made the complement of contestants in the first League season.
Self Renewal Day
- In medical terms, this is called ‘constructive rest’. In the morning, instead of cozying up to a coffee and the news, try sitting in silence for several minutes. On the weekends, plan things to look forward to, and leave your work at the office. Regularly plan time to connect with other people. Arrange something fun or creative or rejuvenating to do, something that will engage your passion and re-energize your spirit.
Grand Central Station Birthday
- At the stroke of midnight on February 2, 1913, Grand Central Station opened in New York City.
- This was updated by Catherine on February 2, 2012 -
QUICK FREEBIE TIP:
While you are waiting for your freebies to arrive, take advantage of the online freebies, downloadable freebies, printable freebies, the printable coupons for local free offers, and local offers that you can pick up.
Click for more quick freebie tips
◊ Enjoying all the freebies? Want to keep up with the latest free stuff, deals, coupons, and other ways to save money? Subscribe to Frugal Freebies' email updates or RSS Feed! - it's free!
◊ Check us out on Twitter and join in the conversation of even more great freebies, deals and coupons on our Frugal Freebies fan page on Facebook.