First two way telephone Conversation (1876)
- The first two-way long-distance conversation took place on October 9th between Boston and Cambridge using borrowed telegraph lines and magneto telephones designed to both transmit and receive.
National Sneakers Day
- the official, cross-Canada launch of SummerActive 2000, the national promotion of healthy, active living and physical activity awareness sponsored by Health Canada, in partnership with the provinces and territories.
Piggly Wiggly Birthday
- Piggly Wiggly stores have a fascinating history. Clarence Saunders invented the self-service supermarket, patented the system in 1914, and franchised it nationwide. He’s the person who came up with the name “Piggly Wiggly”. His first store was opened in Memphis, Tennessee in 1916. But he lost control of the company in the early 1920s.
The Count's Birthday
- Count von Count is a mysterious but friendly vampire-like Muppet on Sesame Street who is meant to parody Bela Lugosi's portrayal of Count Dracula. He first appeared on the show in the Season 4 premiere in 1972, in a sketch with Bert and Ernie.
Moldy Cheese Day
- Any moldy cheese in your refrigerator? Would you eat moldy cheese to celebrate this day? Maybe today is a good day to toss it out!
Universal Music Day
- Imagine everyone attending a Musical event or at least going outside and singing, humming, kazooing or playing an instrument.
Fire Prevention Day
- The Great Chicago fire sparked major efforts in fire prevention. Forty years later, the Fire Marshall's Association of North America(FMANA) held the first Fire Prevention Day. In 1920 , President Woodrow Wilson proclaimed Fire Prevention Week.
World Post Day
- marks the anniversary of the Universal Postal Union's establishment. The union aimed to create and maintain a structure for the free flow of international mail around the world.
National Dessert Day
- a wonderful day to celebrate desserts. What is your favourite dessert?
Leif Erikson Day
- honoring Leif Ericson, who brought the first Europeans known to have set foot on North American soil, and the contributions of Scandinavian peoples to American society.
National Chess Day
- To give special recognition to a game that generates challenge, intellectual stimulation, and enjoyment for citizens of all ages.
National Pro-Life Cupcake Day
- one in three children will never celebrate their first birthday due to abortion. We simply don't think it's fair that so many children don't ever get to have a birthday party. So we thought that we would schedule a day to remember the children, who never get to blow out the candles, unwrap their gifts and eat some cake.
- This was updated by Catherine on October 9, 2011 -
QUICK FREEBIE TIP:
Don't forget to sign up for free money! Zoombucks are free digital dollars that you can trade for over 100 brand name gift cards.
Click for more quick freebie tips
◊ Enjoying all the freebies? Want to keep up with the latest free stuff, deals, coupons, and other ways to save money? Subscribe to Frugal Freebies' email updates or RSS Feed! - it's free!
◊ Check us out on Twitter and join in the conversation of even more great freebies, deals and coupons on our Frugal Freebies fan page on Facebook.