Bring Your Teddy Bear to Work Day
- Bring your teddy bear from home and put it on your desk. This is a fun way to improve morale and have some fun at work.
American Touch Tag Day
- celebrating the joy of playing Touch Tag. Teach a child about the many ways this game can be played.
World Egg Day
- to celebrate the benefits that come from such a unique package - the egg.
Tube Top Birthday
- Commemorating the introduction of the tube top in 1975. Hope your day is tops! (…and totally tubular, too!)
Health-Sports Day in Japan
- commemorates the opening of the 1964 Summer Olympics being held in Tokyo, and exists to promote sports and an active lifestyle.
Alvin C. York Day
- While in the Argonne Forest, France, and separated from his patrol, Sergeant Alvin C. York killed 20 enemy soldiers and captured a hill, 132 enemy soldiers and 35 machine guns. He was awarded the US Medal of Honor and French Croix de Guerre.
Great Chicago Fire
- On October 8, 1871, at around 9pm on a Sunday evening, a fire began in a barn outside Chicago, owned by Mrs. Katherine O'Leary. Driven by a strong wind out of the southwest, the flames headed straight for the center of the city, with branches of flame shooting in several directions.
Ozzie and Harriet Radio Debut
- Ozzie and Harriet Nelson made their CBS Radio debut in “The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet” on October 8, 1944.
National Depression Screening Day
- an effort to help people learn if they have the “common cold” of mental disorders — depression. Depression is characterized by feelings of never-ending sadness, hopelessness, fatigue, trouble with sleep, trouble with eating, and trouble with enjoying things in life that only yesterday seemed to bring a smile to your face (or some combination of those and similar kinds of symptoms).
Lee's National Denim Day
- one of the largest single-day fundraisers for breast cancer in the country.
National Pierogy Day
- Commemorates the day in 1952 that pierogies were first delivered to a grocery store in Shenandoah, PA—marking the emergence of the traditionally eastern European food as a mainstream American meal staple.
National Fluffernutter Day
- Everybody knows about the popular sandwich that everyone ate as a kid. When did you last eat one? Well today go ahead and make that sandwich and remember your childhood.
- This was updated by Catherine on October 8, 2011 -
QUICK FREEBIE TIP:
One reader doesn't like using her real name, so she has her dog apply for all the freebies. She uses her last name so the mail will get there. She knows when a spam phone call comes in because they ask for the dog.
Click for more quick freebie tips
◊ Enjoying all the freebies? Want to keep up with the latest free stuff, deals, coupons, and other ways to save money? Subscribe to Frugal Freebies' email updates or RSS Feed! - it's free!
◊ Check us out on Twitter and join in the conversation of even more great freebies, deals and coupons on our Frugal Freebies fan page on Facebook.