- On March 19th, a full Moon of rare size and beauty will rise in the east at sunset. It's a super "perigee moon"--the biggest in almost 20 years. "The last full Moon so big and close to Earth occurred in March of 1993," says Geoff Chester of the US Naval Observatory in Washington DC. "I'd say it's worth a look."
National Chocolate Caramel Day
- a day to celebrate everything great about chocolate and caramel. The union of chocolate and caramel is probably one of the greatest food combinations ever created. The caramel combined with rich chocolate results in a melt-in-your-mouth unforgettable experience!
Let Us Laugh Day
- People across the world celebrate today as ‘Let us laugh day’. So on this 'Let us laugh day', let us all vow to have a hearty laugh! Remember, laugh with others, not at others!
- A perigean spring tide is when the moon is closest to the Earth during the spring tide. Tides of maximum height and depression produced during this period are known as spring tide. Even higher than a normal spring tide are the perigean tides. Perigean Spring tides can produce unusually intense flooding along the coastal regions. Low amplitude tides are known as neap tides.
Save the Florida Panther Day
- devoted to raising awareness of rescuing the state animal from the threat of extinction. To educate people about living near panther habitat, urging them to drive carefully, particularly at dusk and dawn, and to protect small animals in pens enclosed with a roof.
Saint Joseph's Day
- the Feast of St. Joseph or Solemnity of Saint Joseph is in Western Christianity the principal feast day of Saint Joseph, Spouse of the Blessed Virgin Mary. It is a Solemnity in the Roman Catholic Church, and also a feast in the provinces of the Anglican Communion, and a feast or festival in the Lutheran Church. Saint Joseph's Day is the Patronal Feast day for Poland, persons named Joseph, Josephine, etc., for religious orders, schools and parishes bearing his name, and for carpenters.
Swallows Return To Capistrano day
- The famous cliff swallows of San Juan Capistrano, that leave town every year in a swirling mass near the Day of San Juan (October 23), are returning from their winter vacation spot 6,000 miles south in Goya, Corrientes, Argentina. They land at the mission in San Juan, California, on or around St. Joseph's Day, March 19, to the ringing bells of the old church and a crowd of visitors from all over the world who are in town awaiting their arrival and celebrating with a huge fiesta as well as a parade.
- So called by Native American tribes of New England and the Great Lakes because at this time of year there are signs of earthworms as the ground thaws in preparation for spring. Read more
Operation Iraqi Freedom Day
- At 9:30 PM, EST on March 19, 2003, two hours past a deadline for Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein to step down from power, US and British forces began air strikes against his regime. A ground campaign (adding Australian forces) followed quickly, and by Apr 9, Baghdad was under the control of allied forces and Hussein had disappeared. Read more
- celebrates chicken, turkey and other birds we commonly consume. Celebrate with eggs for breakfast, a chicken sandwich for lunch, and barbecue chicken for dinner. Don't forget to cook up some chicken fingers for the kids.
National Quilting Day
- celebrates fabulous quilts and those who make them. Definitely a ladies hobby, quilting is a skill that produces warm and beautiful results. A day to recognize and appreciate the quilt-makers, the skill and the warm and the results. If you are a quilt-maker, spend a minute to recognize and appreciate that you have truly been blessed with a special skill. If you are not a quilt-maker, wrap yourself into a quilt and enjoy the warmth.
Corn Dog Day
- coincides with the first Saturday of “the big men's college basketball tournament”. For all you basketball mad types, this particular day is significant because it is the one day a year that a quadruple-header of tournament action is broadcast live nationally. Think about it, 7-8 hours of college hoops from start to finish, without having to change the channel. Such an occasion deserves a unique way to celebrate. Pay homage by catching up with friends, enjoying a few laughs, and most importantly, enjoying a steady diet of corndogs! Lots of corndogs….
- This was updated by Catherine on March 19, 2012 -
QUICK FREEBIE TIP:
Don't forget to sign up for free money! iRazoo are free digital dollars that you can trade for Amazon or Best Buy gift cards and other great electronic prizes.
Click for more quick freebie tips
◊ Enjoying all the freebies? Want to keep up with the latest free stuff, deals, coupons, and other ways to save money? Subscribe to Frugal Freebies' email updates or RSS Feed! - it's free!
◊ Check us out on Twitter and join in the conversation of even more great freebies, deals and coupons on our Frugal Freebies fan page on Facebook.