New Year's Eve
- New Year's Eve is when all the fun and festivities are. We see out the old year and ring in the new. To many Americans, the ball dropping at Times Square in New York City signals the start of the new year in this country. The ball was first dropped in 1908.
National Champagne Day
- celebrated by breaking open a bottle of bubbly! Most people need a good reason to drink champagne because it's more of a celebration drink but National Champagne Day is a holiday in itself which gives everyone an excuse to drink the bubbley!
- First Night is an artistic and cultural celebration on New Year's Eve, taking place from afternoon until midnight. Some cities have all their events during the celebration outside, but some cities have events that are hosted indoors by organizations in the city, such as churches and theaters. Since it happens on New Year's Eve, First Night celebrations are actually held on the last night of the old year.
New Year's Resolutions
- New Year's Eve has always been a time for looking back to the past, and more importantly, forward to the coming year. It's a time to reflect on the changes we want (or need) to make and resolve to follow through on those changes.
Make Up Your Mind Day
- a very decisive day. All during the year, you've put on hold, many issues and decisions. Eventually, they need to be resolved and decided upon. Well, today is the day. It's not a day to procrastinate. It's not a day to put off making a decision. If you are going to make up your mind this year, you'd better do it real soon. And, when you think about it, isn't it a great idea to clean the slate in advance of the new year!?
Leap Second Time Adjustment Day
- A leap second can be added, or subtracted, twice a year to keep time in sync with the atomic clock time. The second is added, or subtracted, at midnight on June 30th and January 31st.
World Peace Meditation Day
- World Peace Meditation Day is observed in recognition of the need for world peace. Meditate and find the peace that lies within yourself.
You're All Done Day
- Done with those blissful (stressful?) holidays, done with the month of December, done with the whole doggone year! Pat yourself on the back and savor your year's accomplishments. And look forward to even more this coming year!
- Unlucky Day is today. We sincerely hope it's not unlucky for you. It will be unlucky for some people. It seems fitting that Unlucky Day is the last day of the year. You get the chance to get all the bad things out of the way, do next year will be happy, healthy and prosperous.
- This was updated by Catherine on December 31, 2011 -
QUICK FREEBIE TIPS:
Read the fine print on all free stuff offers. Don't sign up if they ask for a required survey, gold card offer, promotion requirements, or your credit card information unless you are absolutely sure it's a legitimate offer.
Click for more quick freebie tips
◊ Enjoying all the freebies? Want to keep up with the latest free stuff, deals, coupons, and other ways to save money? Subscribe to Frugal Freebies' email updates or RSS Feed! - it's free!
◊ Check us out on Twitter and join in the conversation of even more great freebies, deals and coupons on our Frugal Freebies fan page on Facebook.