"The Simpsons" TV Premiere
- TV’s hottest animated family, “The Simpsons,” premiered on this date in 1989. The originator of Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa and Maggie is cartoonist Matt Groening.
National Maple Syrup Day
- for honoring and enjoying the sweet flavor of maple syrup, a wonderful American treat. A good day to learn a new recipe using maple syrup and share it with your friends and family. Learn about how maple syrup is made from the sap of trees.
- the feast with which the Romans commemorated the dedication of the temple of the god Saturn, which was on 17 December. Over the years, it expanded to a whole week, to 23 December. Saturnalia became one of the most popular Roman festivals. It was marked by tomfoolery and reversal of social roles, in which slaves and masters ostensibly switched places.
Wright Brothers Day
- commemorates the first successful flights in a heavier than air, mechanically propelled airplane, that were made by Orville and Wilbur Wright on December 17, 1903, near Kitty Hawk, North Carolina.
- Hebrew calendar date: Tevet 10, 5771. The Fast of the 10th of Tevet begins at first morning light and commemorates the beginning of the Babylonian siege of Jerusalem in the sixth century bc. Began at sundown on Dec 16.
Cookie Cutter Day
- for honoring and enjoying the fun use of cookie cutters. There's nothing as fun as decorating a cookie! Buy a new cookie cutter and enjoy using it by baking homemade cookies. Sit down with your kids or grandkids and have some cookie decorating fun. Memories last a lifetime so make some cookie memories for your family.
Little Bird's Birthday
- Soft-spoken and matter-of-fact Little Bird is Big Bird's good friend on Sesame Street. Wiser than Big Bird, Little Bird is very good at explaining concepts like “imagination” and “next to.”
- This was updated by Catherine on December 17, 2011 -
QUICK FREEBIE TIPS:
It's a great idea to note the date you request a freebie. Most samples arrive 6-8 weeks after you've asked for them, unless it says otherwise on the confirmation page.
Click for more quick freebie tips
◊ Enjoying all the freebies? Want to keep up with the latest free stuff, deals, coupons, and other ways to save money? Subscribe to Frugal Freebies' email updates or RSS Feed! - it's free!
◊ Check us out on Twitter and join in the conversation of even more great freebies, deals and coupons on our Frugal Freebies fan page on Facebook.