National Candy Day
- a sweet way to celebrate all the different kinds of delicious candy eaten by people all over the world. There are hundreds of thousands of different types of candy, all with their own unique flavors, tastes and histories.
National Skeptic's Day
- I was skeptical about this and then even more skeptical when I could not verify it. Really, what sort of observance do you expect from a bunch of people who are thinking, “No one will show up anyway.”
Chicken Lady Day
- for honoring Dr. Marthenia "Tina" Dupree who was given this nickname because she worked for a major chicken fast food chain for many years of her life and many people in the community referred to her as the chicken lady.
Use Your Common Sense Day
- A day celebrating common sense in business and in life—on Will Rogers’s birthday. Rogers said, “Common sense ain’t all that common.” On this day don’t ignore your common sense—use it. Do at least one thing your common sense tells you to do: stop smoking for a day, have a talk with your children, begin an exercise program, etc.
King Tut Tomb Discovery
- In 1922 one of the most important archaeological discoveries of modern times occurred at Luxor, Egypt. It was the tomb of Egypt’s child-king, Tutankhamen, who became pharaoh at the age of nine and died, probably in the year 1352 BC when he was 19. Perhaps the only ancient Egyptian royal tomb to have escaped plundering by grave robbers, it was discovered more than 3,000 years after Tutankhamen’s death by English archaeologist Howard Carter, leader of an expedition financed by Lord Carnarvon. The priceless relics yielded by King Tut’s tomb were placed in Egypt’s National Museum at Cairo.
First Wagon Train reached California
- It was not until 1843 that the celebrated "cow column" Oregon emigrant party of about one thousand persons brought most of its 120 wagons over the trail to arrive near the Columbia River on 10 October, the first wagon train to reach Oregon Country.
Cash Register Birthday 1880
- The first cash register was patented by James and John Ritty of Dayton Ohio
- The day when officially tabulated election returns are read from the balcony of George-town’s redbrick, Greek Revival courthouse to the throngs of voters assembled below.
Will Rogers Day
- Festival celebrating the birth and life of the famed Oklahoma humorist with a variety of events and activities at the Will Rogers Birthplace Ranch at Oologah and at the Will Rogers Memorial Museum in Claremore. Includes a birthday party (at ranch), parade in downtown Claremore and wreath-laying ceremony at the museum.
- This was updated by Catherine on November 4, 2011 -
QUICK FREEBIE TIP:
Some don't use their last name when requesting freebies - to foil the telemarketers who take your name and address and look up your phone number to call you. To avoid these nuisance calls, they use only their first and middle name, or change some of the letters in their last name. Another benefit is that way you can track where the junk mail came from.
Click for more quick freebie tips
◊ Enjoying all the freebies? Want to keep up with the latest free stuff, deals, coupons, and other ways to save money? Subscribe to Frugal Freebies' email updates or RSS Feed! - it's free!
◊ Check us out on Twitter and join in the conversation of even more great freebies, deals and coupons on our Frugal Freebies fan page on Facebook.