- Gottlieb Daimler was an engineer, industrial designer and industrialist, born in Schorndorf, in what is now Germany. In 1885 Daimler and his lifelong business partner Wilhelm Maybach designed a precursor of the modern petrol (gasoline) engine which they subsequently fitted to a two-wheeler, considered the first motorcycle.
National Vanilla Cupcake Day
- do something to celebrate! Like bake some with your friends, or bake some cupcakes this weekend and bring them into work to share!
NET Cancer Awareness Day
- to raise awareness about cancers called neuroendocrine tumors (NETs) and the need for timely detection and diagnosis. More than 90% of all NET patients are incorrectly diagnosed and initially treated for the wrong disease. Misdiagnoses or delayed diagnoses mean that NET patients are treated on average five to seven years for the wrong disease; often the correct diagnosis is not made until the disease has spread (metastasized).
Area Codes Birthday 1951
- The 10-digit North American Numbering Plan, which provides area codes for Canada, the US and many Caribbean nations, was devised in 1947 by AT&T and Bell Labs. Eighty-four area codes were assigned. However, all long-distance calls at that time were operator-assisted. On this date in 1951, the mayor of Englewood, NJ (area code 201), direct-dialed the mayor of Alameda, CA.
Marine Corps Birthday
- Commemorates the Marine Corps’s establishment in 1775. Originally part of the navy, it became a separate unit July 11, 1789. Let's remember those brave men and women of the corps , that serve the US nation faithfully.
- a day to remember family, friends, and loved ones. People use this day to get in touch, especially those they haven't seen in a while. Some have used it to memorialize a loved one who is no longer with us.
Microsoft Releases Windows
- In 1980 Microsoft signed a contract with IBM to design an operating system, MS-DOS, for a personal computer that IBM was developing. On Nov 10, 1983, Microsoft released Windows, an extension of MS-DOS with a graphical user interface.
"Sesame Street" TV Premiere - 1969
- An important, successful, long-running children’s show, “Sesame Street” educates children while they have fun. It takes place along a city street, featuring a diverse cast of humans and puppets. Through singing, puppetry, film clips and skits, children are taught letters, numbers, concepts and other lessons. Shows are “sponsored” by letters and numbers.
Stanley Finds Livingstone
- Having begun his search the previous March for the then two-years-missing explorer-missionary David Livingstone, explorer Henry M. Stanley found him on this day in 1871 at Ujiji (Africa) and uttered those now immortal words, “Dr. Livingstone, I presume?”
- This was updated by Catherine on November 10, 2011 -
QUICK FREEBIE TIP:
Have realistic expectations: While I try very hard to only provide links to legitimate offers, sometimes the freebies still don't arrive. This could be because the company did not having a large enough supply to cover the response they got. It is also possible that a spammer has set up a site to gather email addresses (another important reason to use an alternate email account) and never intended to send you a freebie at all. Be aware that this can happen and although I do my best to avoid such sites, it is a part of getting freebies over the Internet.
Click for more quick freebie tips
◊ Enjoying all the freebies? Want to keep up with the latest free stuff, deals, coupons, and other ways to save money? Subscribe to Frugal Freebies' email updates or RSS Feed! - it's free!
◊ Check us out on Twitter and join in the conversation of even more great freebies, deals and coupons on our Frugal Freebies fan page on Facebook.