Worldwide Howl at the Moon Night
- Whether enthusiastically howling at the moon in a wolfman costume, cackling like an old pro while donning a witch’s hat, or aarrr’ing with the best of them when dressed up like a pirate, the important thing to do when opening your mouth while in character is to give it your all!
National Mincemeat Pie Day
- celebrates a sweet and tasty meat treat. For those of us that have had it before, we can revel in the great taste. For those of you who have never heard of Mincemeat, don't you think today would be a good time to try it?
Horseless Carriage Day
- Europeans invented the horseless carriages, but Americans embraced it. As early as 1896, J. Frank and Charles Duryea established the Duryea Motor Company in Peoria, Illinois, and sold the first dozen American-made cars. By 1900 American carmakers had sold about 8,000 vehicles, and by 1910, registrations had soared nearly to half million and were rising rapidly.
- Anniversary of the first importation of Spanish jacks to the US, a gift from King Charles III of Spain. Mules are said to have been bred first in this country by George Washington from this pair of jacks delivered at Boston, Oct 26, 1785.
Gunfight At the O.K. Corral
- At 2:30 pm in 1881, the Earp brothers and gambler/dentist Doc Holliday confronted the Clanton and McLaury brothers at a vacant lot behind the O.K. Corral in Tombstone, AZ. After 30 seconds of gunfire, three deaths and decades of romanticizing, the incident would become the most notorious of the Old West.
"St. Elsewhere" TV Premiere
- A popular one-hour medical drama set in St. Eligius Hospital at Boston.
Erie Canal Anniversary
- The Erie Canal opens in 1825, passage from Albany, New York to Lake Erie.
- The last natural case of smallpox is discovered in Merca district, Somalia. The WHO and the CDC consider this date the anniversary of the eradication of smallpox, the most spectacular success of vaccination.
- This was updated by Catherine on October 26, 2011 -
QUICK FREEBIE TIP:
Some don't use their last name when requesting freebies - to foil the telemarketers who take your name and address and look up your phone number to call you. To avoid these nuisance calls, they use only their first and middle name, or change some of the letters in their last name. Another benefit is that way you can track where the junk mail came from.
Click for more quick freebie tips
◊ Enjoying all the freebies? Want to keep up with the latest free stuff, deals, coupons, and other ways to save money? Subscribe to Frugal Freebies' email updates or RSS Feed! - it's free!
◊ Check us out on Twitter and join in the conversation of even more great freebies, deals and coupons on our Frugal Freebies fan page on Facebook.