Cranky Co-Workers Day
- In honor of all the complaining and just plain cranky co-workers you have to endure all year, this is the day to let them go with it and enjoy their miseries.
- Established in 1922 to honor the “past and present services” of the US Navy to the nation. Also honored Theodore Roosevelt, whose birth date is Oct 27 (and who had been assistant secretary of the Navy early in his public career).
New York City Subway
- Running from City Hall to W 145th St, the New York City subway began operation. It was privately operated by the Interborough Rapid Transit Company and later became part of the system operated by the New York City Transit Authority.
"Walt Disney" TV Premiere
- This highly successful and long-running show appeared on different TV networks under different names but was essentially the same show. It was the first ABC series to break the Nielsen’s top 20 and the first prime-time anthology series for kids. “Walt Disney” was originally titled “Disneyland” to promote the park and upcoming Disney releases.
Boxer Shorts Birthday
- In 1925, Jacob Golomb, founder of Everlast, designed elastic-waist trunks to replace the leather-belted trunks then worn by boxers. These trunks, now known as "boxer trunks", immediately became famous, but were later eclipsed by the popular Jockey-style briefs beginning in the late 1930s.
Birthday of the Pencil 1492
- For centuries it has been the faithful recorder of our thoughts and artistic abilities. With it men have created masterpieces of literature, children have transferred their imaginations to paper and artists have drawn superb pictures. Yet, throughout all of this, the humble work-horse behind it all has gone unrecognized. Who gives a thought to the pencil?
Turn Off the Violence Day
- the day we will focus our efforts to raise awareness. Some day together we may reap the harvest in a world that thinks of violence only as the last resort, not the only option, ... or the best.
Teddy Roosevelt's Birthday
- Today we say happy birthday to the 26th President of the United States, the president who presided over Oklahoma statehood in 1907. Theodore Roosevelt was born on October 27, 1858.
National Potato Day
- celebrates the uses of the potato. Potatoes are incorporated into many American meals and can be prepared in a variety of ways. Potatoes are considered a staple vegetable in many areas of the United States.
- This was updated by Catherine on October 27, 2011 -
QUICK FREEBIE TIP:
Create a separate free email account to use for your freebies - so your personal email doesn't get filled with junk emails.
Click for more quick freebie tips
◊ Enjoying all the freebies? Want to keep up with the latest free stuff, deals, coupons, and other ways to save money? Subscribe to Frugal Freebies' email updates or RSS Feed! - it's free!
◊ Check us out on Twitter and join in the conversation of even more great freebies, deals and coupons on our Frugal Freebies fan page on Facebook.