- The first Christians, Jewish and Gentile, were certainly aware of the Hebrew calendar, but there is no direct evidence that they celebrated any specifically Christian annual festivals. Direct evidence for the Easter festival begins to appear in the mid-2nd century.
The ecclesiastical historian Socrates Scholasticus (b. 380) attributes the observance of Easter by the church to the perpetuation of its custom, "just as many other customs have been established," stating that neither Jesus nor his Apostles enjoined the keeping of this or any other festival. Source
Zoo Lovers Day
- for all who love visiting the zoo and seeing all the unique animals that call the zoo home. Zoo's allow us to observe these animals in their habitats and learn about their habits. Zoo's also allow us to help protect endangered species through research and reproduction in captivity. Source
Draw a Picture of a Bird Day
- a special day for young bird lovers who like to draw. It doesn't matter whether you are young, or not so young. If you like to draw, then today is a day to draw pictures of a bird or two, or three. Grab some crayons. Now, open up your curtains and look for some birds. Once you spot a nice one, start drawing. Source
- the birthday of the Prince Siddhartha Gautama, is a holiday traditionally celebrated in Mahayana Buddhism. In Japan, Buddha’s birthday -- Hana Matsuri, or “Flower Festival” -- is celebrated every year on April 8. Those who go to temples bring offerings of fresh spring flowers. It is a time for hanging lanterns and enjoying communal meals. Joyous parades of musicians, dancers, floats, and dragons are common throughout Asia. Source
More Special Days:
• National Empanada Day - a fried stuffed bread that can be either sweet or savory
• All Is Ours Day - The greatest events, and the best things in life, are those that are shared.
• Ponce de Leon Day
Born in 1460. He discovered Florida and searched for the Fountain of Youth.
NOTE - If any of the above links are not working or the freebies or coupons no longer available, please post a blog comment below and I'll edit it!
- This was posted by Catherine on April 8, 2012 -
QUICK FREEBIE TIP:
◊ Enjoying all the freebies? Want to keep up with the latest free stuff, deals, coupons, and other ways to save money? Subscribe to Frugal Freebies' email updates or RSS Feed! - it's free!
◊ Check us out on Twitter, and join in the conversation of even more great freebies, deals and coupons on our Frugal Freebies fan page on Facebook and Google+.