Kennedy was assassinated
- President John F. Kennedy was slain by a sniper while riding in an open automobile at Dallas, TX. Accused assassin Lee Harvey Oswald was killed by Jack Ruby while in police custody awaiting trial.
Stop the Violence Day
- The crux of the idea was that if we can learn to stop the violence for one day, maybe we could do it every day, one day at a time. November 22nd was chosen as Stop the Violence Day, marking not only the anniversary of the Kennedy assassination, but in 1990 (and 2007), also falling on Thanksgiving.
National Cranberry Relish Day
- how do you like your cranberry sauce — whole berry or quivering jelly?
Humane Society Anniversary Day
- When the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) was founded by a handful of dedicated visionaries, the modern concept of “animal welfare” barely existed. A half century later, the HSUS has become the nation’s largest animal protection organization, with a constituency of millions, and a leader in the parallel rise of the modern animal welfare movement. The HSUS mission is celebrating animals and confronting cruelty.
Beauty and the Beast Birthday
- a 1991 American animated musical film produced by Walt Disney Feature Animation. The story is based on the fairy tale La Belle et la Bête by Jeanne-Marie Le Prince de Beaumont and uses some ideas from the 1946 film of the same name. It centers around a prince who is transformed into a Beast and a young woman named Belle whom he imprisons in his castle. To become a prince again, the Beast must love Belle and win her love in return.
Alice's Restaurant Day
- one of singer-songwriter Arlo Guthrie's most prominent works, a musical monologue based on a true story that began on Thanksgiving Day 1965, and which inspired a 1969 movie of the same name. In an interview for All Things Considered, Guthrie said the song points out that any American citizen who was convicted of a crime, no matter how minor (in his case, it was littering), could avoid being conscripted to fight in the Vietnam War.
Toy Story Birthday
- a 1995 American computer-animated film, the first Disney/Pixar film to be made, as well as the first feature film to be made entirely with CGI. Toy Story follows a group of toys who pretend to be lifeless whenever humans are present, and focuses on Woody, a pull-string cowboy doll (Tom Hanks), and Buzz Lightyear, an astronaut action figure (Tim Allen).
Start Your Own Country Day
- originally conceived in 1939 at the World's Fair in New York. Its conception was to honor those free spirited souls who dared to hope and believe in a better world where they too could declare any land their own.
Go For A Ride Day
- As the holidays approach, life becomes chaotic, and perhaps a bit stressful. Take a breather, and go for a relaxing ride. You don't need a destination to enjoy this day. The means of transportation can be anything - car, bus, or motorcycle ride may immediately come to mind. But be more creative - how will you take a ride?
"On the Origin of Species" Published
- Charles Darwin’s monumental work, On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life, was published on this date by London publisher John Murray. The print run of 1,250 (priced at 15 shillings) sold out the same day.
- This was updated by Catherine on November 22, 2011 -
QUICK FREEBIE TIPS:
Be cautious about where you give out your personal information. Don't provide any more information than you are comfortable with. Personally, I never give out my exact date of birth (you can change the month or date) or telephone number. (555 is a handy area code) Some go as far as getting a P.O. Box for their freebies.
Click for more quick freebie tips
◊ Enjoying all the freebies? Want to keep up with the latest free stuff, deals, coupons, and other ways to save money? Subscribe to Frugal Freebies' email updates or RSS Feed! - it's free!
◊ Check us out on Twitter and join in the conversation of even more great freebies, deals and coupons on our Frugal Freebies fan page on Facebook.