World Kindness Day
- Today's purpose is to look beyond ourselves, beyond the boundaries of our country, beyond our culture, our race, our religion; and realize we are citizens of the world. The World Kindness Movement grew out of a series of Kindness Conferences convened by the Japanese Small Kindness Movement in 1996.
National Indian Pudding Day
- a day to enjoy puddings created by native American Indians. American Indian puddings are defined as a number recipes of native American Indian origin. Generally, they include molasses and cornmeal. Apples were often an ingredient. They were usually baked.
Artificial Snow Birthday
- like so many other scientific innovations, was born out of wartime necessity. In this case, it began during World War II and experiments with the creation of artificial fog, meant to conceal ships at sea. Despite protests that artificial snow shouldn't be used because it messed with Mother Nature's design, it only took a few years for ski resorts to begin looking for ways to create the fake stuff for use during bad snow years.
- a 1940 American animated film produced by Walt Disney with brief live-action introductions between the animated segments. The third feature-length animated film produced by Walt Disney Productions, Fantasia features eight animated segments set to classical music selections.
Holland Tunnel Birthday
- On this date in 1927 the world's first long, mechanically-ventilated underwater tunnel, the Holland Tunnel, opened between New York and New Jersey beneath the Hudson River. The tunnel is named for Clifford Milburn Holland, its chief engineer, who died before the project was completed.
Fall of Kabul
- Northern Alliance troops opposing the Islamic extremist regime of the Taliban moved into the capital of Afghanistan on this date in 2001 — the first major victory in the war on terrorism prompted by the Sept 11, 2001, attacks on America. After fleeing Kabul (which the Taliban had controlled since 1996), the Taliban regime quickly collapsed.
Stokes Becomes First Black Mayor in US
- Carl Burton Stokes became the first black in the US elected mayor when he won the Cleveland, OH, mayoral election Nov 13, 1967.
- This was updated by Catherine on November 13, 2011 -
QUICK FREEBIE TIP:
Create a separate free email account to use for your freebies - so your personal email doesn't get filled with junk emails.
Click for more quick freebie tips
◊ Enjoying all the freebies? Want to keep up with the latest free stuff, deals, coupons, and other ways to save money? Subscribe to Frugal Freebies' email updates or RSS Feed! - it's free!
◊ Check us out on Twitter and join in the conversation of even more great freebies, deals and coupons on our Frugal Freebies fan page on Facebook.