First Velcro Sold
- On this day, April 2, in 1978, Velcro went on sale for the first time. It was named in a conjunction of two French words – Vel for velvet and Cro for crochet.
French electrical engineer George de Mestral got his inspiration on a hunting trip through the Alps. He noticed how the burrs kept sticking to his clothes and wondered if he could replicate and commercialize that. Examining the burrs under a microscope, he noticed they cling by means of tiny hooks that cling to anything with loops or weaves – hair, clothing, animal fur. Source
Ponce de Leon discovers Florida
- Ponce de Leon was given the right to find and take the island of Bimini (in the Bahamas); he was searching for riches and the fountain of youth (a legendary spring that gave people eternal life and health). He sailed from Puerto Rico on March 3, 1513, with three ships, the Santa Maria, the Santiago, and the San Cristobal, and about 200 men.
After stops at Grand Turk Island and San Salvador, they reached the east coast of Florida (St. Augustine) in April 1513. Ponce de Leon named the land "Pascua de Florida" (feast of flowers) because they first spotted land on April 2, 1513, Palm Sunday. He then claimed the land for Spain. Source
World Autism Awareness Day
- The fifth annual World Autism Awareness Day is April 2, 2012. Today we celebrate those affected by spreading awareness! Help us shine a light on autism by lighting up blue! Every year, autism organizations around the world celebrate the day with unique fundraising and awareness-raising events. How will you celebrate? Source
International Children's Book Day
- Since 1967, on or around Hans Christian Andersen's birthday, 2 April, International Children's Book Day (ICBD) is celebrated to inspire a love of reading and to call attention to children's books. Source
National Peanut Butter and Jelly Day
- Legend has it that American soldiers in World War II mixed their ratios of peanut butter and jelly to make a new treat. When they returned sales of peanut butter and jelly soared. Everyone was soon making PBJ sandwiches. This fun day is a great time to sit down to the table and play with your sandwich. Source
- a special day to patch relationships and to make amends. It's intention is to re-establish relationships between family, friends and couples. Life is too short to hold a grudge between those we love.
Since 1989, newspaper columnist Ann Landers has promoted April 2and as Reconciliation Day. She writes an annual article dedicated to this day. She posts and replies to readers' questions and issues on reconciliation. Source
NOTE - If any of the above links are not working or the freebies or coupons no longer available, please post a blog comment below and I'll edit it!
- This was posted by Catherine on April 2, 2012 -
QUICK FREEBIE TIP:
If you don't feel comfortable with an offer, just skip it.
Click for more quick freebie tips
◊ Enjoying all the freebies? Want to keep up with the latest free stuff, deals, coupons, and other ways to save money? Subscribe to Frugal Freebies' email updates or RSS Feed! - it's free!
◊ Check us out on Twitter, and join in the conversation of even more great freebies, deals and coupons on our Frugal Freebies fan page on Facebook and Google+.