What if Cats and Dogs Had Opposable Thumbs? Day
- We are grateful today that the infinite wisdom of the universe has not allowed cats and dogs to have thumbs. Imagine the cat, able to operate the can opener! Imagine the dog, able to open the refrigerator door!
National Mulled Wine Day
- Ideally, it would be a day when children still have to go to school but grown-ups can stay home and enjoy mulled wine. Share a mug of the warm spicy stuff with a friend or loved one this evening. It just makes you feel good - too much might have the opposite effect, though.
33 Flavors Day - Baskin Robins Birthday
- The Baskin-Robbins ice cream parlors started as separate ventures from Burt Baskin and Irv Robbins, owning Burt's Ice Cream Shop and Snowbird Ice Cream respectively. Snowbird Ice Cream featured 21 flavors, a novel concept for the time. When the separate companies merged in 1953, this concept grew to 31 flavors. The first store that adopted the new 31 look was 804 North Glendale Ave. in Glendale, California in March of 1953.
Alexander Graham Bell's Birthday
- Inventor of the telephone, born at Edinburgh, Scotland in 1847, Bell acquired his interest in the transmission of sound from his father, Melville Bell, a teacher of the deaf. Bell’s use of visual devices to teach articulation to the deaf contributed to the theory from which he derived the principle of the vibrating membrane used in the telephone. On Mar 10, 1876, Bell spoke the first electrically transmitted sentence to his assistant in the next room: “Mr Watson, come here, I want you.”
World Book Day
- World Book Day is the biggest annual celebration of books and reading in the UK and Ireland. (Most other countries hold World Book Day on Apr 23.) A main aim of this day is to encourage children to explore the pleasures of books and reading by providing them with the opportunity to have a book of their own.
Peach Blossom Day
- a day to celebrate peach blossoms, and for girls to celebrate being girls. The roots of Peach Blossom Day trace directly back to Japan. A Doll Festival is held in Japan every year on March 3rd. This is also when peach trees bloom in Japan. Simply said, it's an opportunity for girls to celebrate being girls.
National Anthem Day
- Many people think the Star Spangled Banner was written during the Revolutionary War. It was actually written during the war of 1812 (1812-1814). The Star-Spangled Banner is the national anthem of the United States of America. It was written by Francis Scott Key. National Anthem Day celebrates this song, and the rich history behind its creation. The song officially became the US national anthem on March 3, 1931.
I Want You To Be Happy Day
- A day dedicated to reminding people to be thoughtful of others by showing love and concern, even if things are not going well for them. Celebrate today by doing more than wishing someone is happy. Do something to make others happy. It can start with an ecard that will put a smile on someone's face. Other ideas include a phone call, making positive compliments, or cooking a special meal. Be creative. There are endless ways to make others happy.
International Sister Cities Day
- Sister city partnerships have the potential to carry out the widest possible diversity of activities of any international program, including every type of municipal, business, professional, educational and cultural exchange or project. Sister city programs are also unique in that they inherently involve the three main sectors in a community: local government, businesses, and a wide variety of citizen volunteers (and civil society or non-profit organizations).
- This was updated by Catherine on March 3, 2012 -
QUICK FREEBIE TIP:
Don't forget to sign up for free money! iRazoo are free digital dollars that you can trade for Amazon or Best Buy gift cards and other great electronic prizes.
Click for more quick freebie tips
◊ Enjoying all the freebies? Want to keep up with the latest free stuff, deals, coupons, and other ways to save money? Subscribe to Frugal Freebies' email updates or RSS Feed! - it's free!
◊ Check us out on Twitter and join in the conversation of even more great freebies, deals and coupons on our Frugal Freebies fan page on Facebook.