- Celebrate the beauty of ugly with Hagfish Day. This special day is a fun, somewhat tongue-in-cheek event with an important and serious goal: to raise awareness and understanding of the uniqueness and significance of all sea creatures—even the ugly, slimy, misunderstood, or unusual (like the hagfish).
- Suspenders look so cool and they never go out of fashion!
National Brandied Fruit Day
- celebrates sweet tasting fruit, soaked and marinated in brandy. Enjoy a little brandied fruit on this day, with family and friends.
Miss American Rose Day
- Miss American Rose is a pageant devoted to high achievement and community service for girls and women of all ages. On this day, treat the women in your life like beautiful American roses, and/or perform a community service project.
Birth of the Bab
- Baha’i observance of anniversary of the birth in Shiraz, Persia, of Siyyid Ali Muhammad, who later took the title “the Bab”; the Bab was the prophet-herald of the Baha’i Faith. One of the nine days of the year when Baha’is suspend work.
Medical Assistants Recognition Day
- Medical assistants are at the heart of health care. Medical assisting is an allied health profession whose practitioners function as members of the health care delivery team and perform administrative and clinical procedures. With their unique versatility, medical assistants are proving to be the allied health professional of choice for this decade and beyond. In fact, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, medical assisting continues to be projected as one of the fastest growing occupations.
Support Your Local Chamber of Commerce
- A day to honor the local chamber of commerce. If your company is a COC member, make a donation, upgrade your membership, recruit a new member or buy a sponsorship of a chamber ad. Join a local chamber if your company is not yet a member. Send flowers or chocolates to your local chamber office.
Bela Lugosi's birthday
- Born Bela Ferenc Denzso Blasko at Lugos, Hungary. Known best for his role as Count Dracula in Dracula. Lugosi died of a heart attack at Los Angeles, CA, Aug 16, 1956.
Mickey Mantle's birthday
- Baseball Hall of Famer, born at Spavinaw, OK. Died Aug 13, 1995, at Dallas, TX.
"The Six Million Dollar Man" TV Premiere
- This action-adventure series based on the novel Cyborg was a monthly feature on “The ABC Suspense Movie” before becoming a regular series in 1974. Lee Majors starred as astronaut Steve Austin, who, after an accident, was “rebuilt” with bionic legs, arms and an eye.
- This was updated by Catherine on October 20, 2011 -
QUICK FREEBIE TIP:
Remember that many freebies come with great high-value coupons!
Click for more quick freebie tips
◊ Enjoying all the freebies? Want to keep up with the latest free stuff, deals, coupons, and other ways to save money? Subscribe to Frugal Freebies' email updates or RSS Feed! - it's free!
◊ Check us out on Twitter and join in the conversation of even more great freebies, deals and coupons on our Frugal Freebies fan page on Facebook.