National Day of National Concern About Young People & Gun Violence Day
- On this day, as on every other day, children will die by gunfire, and many of them will be killed because other children are pulling the trigger. This is a stark and sad reality and a call to each of us, not only to raise public awareness of a national tragedy, but also to do everything within our power to end the killing.
- A day to commemorate the anniversary of the 1929 ruling that declared women to be persons in Canada. Prior to this ruling English common law prevailed (“Women are persons in matters of pains and penalties, but are not persons in matters of rights and privileges”).
- First ever - where Swagbucks does their best to help everyone get a referral (and the chance to earn up to 1000 in matching search bucks) on Swagbucks.com. They are rolling out a powerful new referral tool today which should help everyone get those elusive referrals.
No Beard Day
- Today is the day those with beards shave it off for a nice smooth clean shave. Let your family and friends see what you really look like underneath all that face hair.
Scary Black Cat Day
- A black cat is associated with evil. The Celts would sometimes sacrifice a cat in a bonfire during their festival. Witches were believed to be shape shifters and would most often take the form of cats. Sometimes they believed that cats were reincarnated witches.
The Jungle Book Day
- a 1967 American animated film produced by Disney Animation Studios. Released on October 18, 1967, it is the 19th animated feature in the Walt Disney Animated Classics series. It was inspired by the stories about the feral child Mowgli from the book of the same name by Rudyard Kipling.
- the anniversary of the formal transfer of the Territory of Alaska from Russia to the United States which took place at a flag-raising ceremony at Fort Sitka on Friday October 18, 1867
Boost Your Brain Day
- Time to give a good exercise to your gray cells. Indulge in loads of brainstorming sessions and crack all those wacky puzzles.
Support Your Local Chamber of Commerce
- A day to honor the local chamber of commerce. If your company is a COC member, make a donation, upgrade your membership, recruit a new member or buy a sponsorship of a chamber ad. Join a local chamber if your company is not yet a member. Send flowers or chocolates to your local chamber office.
First Newspaper Comic Strip
- Although cartoons had appeared in newspapers for many years, the comic strip—a narrative told in cartoons over several panels—took its main form with the appearance of “The Yellow Kid Takes a Hand at Golf” in the New York Journal’s weekly supplement, American Humorist.
"Roseanne" TV Premiere
- This comedy showed the blue-collar Conner family trying to make ends meet. Rosanne played wise-cracking Roseanne Conner, John Goodman played her husband, Dan, and Laurie Metcalf played her sister, Jackie.
World Menopause Day
- calls on every nation to make menopausal health a principal issue in their research and public health agendas in order to help women prevent unpleasant symptoms that can affect productivity and quality of life, as well as reduce rates of osteoporosis, heart disease, colon cancer and other aging- and hormone-related diseases.
National Clean Your Virtual Desktop Day
- to raise awareness of cluttered computer desktops worldwide. With over one billion computers in use worldwide, and assuming that each computer has an average of 10 unused icons per desktop - the total wasted screen display space is estimated to be 169 acres or 69 hectares.
- This was updated by Catherine on October 18, 2011 -
QUICK FREEBIE TIP:
Scam.com is your first choice if you are a true freebie hunter and want to research if some freebie is a valid one. 419eater is an active freebie hunter discussion board. PurPortal is a huge searchable database of scams which seems to be updated regularly. There are 4 sections: scams, urban legends, viruses and phishing sites.
PLUS: List of freebie hunter sites that are spam, scam or phishing and 5,700 Chinese scams.
Click for more quick freebie tips
◊ Enjoying all the freebies? Want to keep up with the latest free stuff, deals, coupons, and other ways to save money? Subscribe to Frugal Freebies' email updates or RSS Feed! - it's free!
◊ Check us out on Twitter and join in the conversation of even more great freebies, deals and coupons on our Frugal Freebies fan page on Facebook.